Thursday, April 25, 2013

Metacognition: The Mashup

Hello.

     When writing my Mashup (A compilation of multiple sources and medias used to convey a single message) we were given several ( I love that  word) choices from Mr. Allen. Immediately  my eyes were drawn to the topic "Challenging the Status Quo." As soon as my brain processed the words, the High school music song "Stick to the Status Quo" assaulted my mind. This song then continued to play on repeat for the remainder of class.
     After being forced by my internal mp3 player to think about the status quo for a solid class, I realized it would be a fun topic to do this project on.
     While searching for my sources, I initially went into the task looking for examples of Jane simply challenging the status quo, but my mind began to deviate a bit. I soon began seeing patterns about how the more society tries to push the norm on you, the more likely you are to rebel and try and deviate from that set norm.
     I found this very interesting because you wouldn't expect that something that is made to be a fairly reasonable standard for society, often ends up creating an "uproar" rather than normalcy. Status Quo also seemed to foster the idea of normal into other peoples head, while fostering the idea to defy the status quo in others.
    While putting together my mashup, I feel like I could have been thinking more clearly than I was. By the final steps of the project, I'm thinking I might have been overly confident. I think I should have taken more care with organizing and thinking about the chronology of the elements.
   I'm really happy and proud of how my Mashup turned out, but I feel like given a little more time, I could really think about my project and add to it for the better.

-jordan

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,
    Your post made me think back on the books we have read this year and it made me realize how much they all have to do with challenging the status quo. "Orlando" challenges it by dressing as a man when she was a woman and writing, even though the spirit of her age made her hands shake to try and stop her from doing it. In "King Lear", Lear's daughters Goneril and Regan are rude and malicious towards their father, as they try to overthrow him and take his thrown. "Heart of Darkness" isn't so much about defying the status quo as it is about understanding it, the main character Marlow is thrown into Africa and forced to see the injustice of the status quo, but he also has to realize that there isn't much he can do about it. Lastly, "Jane Eyre" is all about her becoming a strong independent woman who chooses to be herself, instead of being like everyone else. It is a story of choices and how continuously Jane's choices, while they may be unpopular, are her choices and no one else's. Thank you for writing this post, it really made me think about how connected theses books are, I guess I had never really thought about them from this perspective before.

    ReplyDelete