Thursday, March 21, 2013

Metacognition: Writing a Short Story

Howdy.

In this blog post, I'm going to be talking about the oh so lovely process of writing a short story. Sounds Harmless right? Wrong. The first step to writing a short story is reading some to get your brain flowing, and then you have to think of the plot, or at the very least, your main character(s).
     I hit a block here. Considering the fact that I was only on the first step of the assignment, I wasn't feeling too hot. Then an Idea hit me. The words started flowing out of my pen onto the blank page in my notebook. I thought my idea was great. I girl who goes out for a run, she witnesses a car accident, turns out her husband was a part of it and died. Great idea at the time, three drafts later, not so much.
     I was left three days before a complete draft was due with absolutely nothing. Now I had to come up with a completely different story idea and I had three days. Two of which were spent looking at a blank computer screen. Do you have any idea how hard it is to come up with a story idea that isn't completely obtuse? Probably.
    Anyways..... I basically spent the whole weekend attempting to write my story, and the idea didn't come until my family ditched me to go to a St. Patricks day party. I cried for like two-ish hours, and then it dawned on me that, if i just changed the names around and the alleged assignment around, that I'd got my story. Awesome.
    Something that I learned through writing my story, was that original and intelligent ideas are very hard to come up with for me. I supposed this implies that I'm not a very creative person. Never have been never will be. (No seriously though, I can't do a craft project well for my life.) I have a lot of ideas, but not many of them are great by any means.
   I think it's pretty sad that I've lost whats left of my creativity. I feel like creativity is almost suppressed in school nowadays with very straight-forward/rigid assignments. Welp, that's another blog post I suppose.
***
And now some parting words.
My mother regarding the fact that my brother sounds like a dying whale when he's annoyed/remotely sick.
"It's hard to tell if he's got a hang nail, or he's dying."
-my mother for ya.


No comments:

Post a Comment